Modern life is busy and only getting busier. Between juggling work, family and friends, it can be hard to find time for ourselves. Self-care is important, but finding the time to relax can be difficult. Here are some reminders and tips to allow you to take five minutes for yourself amongst the chaos.
- Tea drinker? Turn your afternoon cuppa into a little ritual of peace. Choose a beautiful loose leaf tea, and let it brew slowly. Pour it into your favourite cup, and take the time to just sip it, rather than drinking it while doing something else. Sit quietly with it, or stand at the kitchen window and admire the garden for a few moments with your thoughts.
2. Find a pen and paper and spend five minutes writing down everything you can think of that you’re grateful for. It could be big things like your children, or small things like having some nice cheese in the fridge for later. If it makes you happy to think about, write it down and take a moment to appreciate them.
3. Do a breathing exercise. Sit down and breathe deeply and slowly for a few minutes. Fill your lungs by breathing in for your nose, then slowly release the breath through your mouth, emptying your lungs completely. Deep breathing is a great way to relieve some stress.
4. Spend five minutes doing some light stretches. Release the tension from your muscles, and you’ll feel looser afterwards, and ready to face the rest of the day.
5. If you’ve got a pet, spend your spare five minutes just petting them. Pets can have a relaxing effect on you, and the time together will be enjoyable for you both. If not, grab a teddy or lie on a nice soft rug.
6. Love your garden? Sit out in it for a few minutes, even if it’s only perched on the back door step. Watch the birds, admire your flowers and breathe in the fresh air.
7. If you’re creative, why not try a colouring book for adults? A few minutes with some coloured pencils can be very relaxing.
8. Put on your favourite song and dance it out. Dancing is a great way to release endorphins, making you feel better immediately. If you’ve got young children at home, why not make a dance break a regular thing, and have a silly dance off all together.
9. Take a walk. You don’t have to go far, but the gentle exercise, fresh air and change of scenery will help you feel refreshed.
10. Make a note of any compliments anybody gives you. When you feel low, take a look at the compliments you’ve been given to remind you of why you’re brilliant. If takes 5 compliments to make up for 1 negative one. It’s the way our brains are wired.
11. Drink a glass of water. Many of us get dehydrated without realising. Drinking enough water helps you concentrate and helps you stay alert. Get a glass in to help the rest of your day go more smoothly. A lack of water can cause anxiety and not many people know this.
12. Speed clean your workspace. Is your desk buried under a sea of paperwork, empty mugs and other clutter? Spend five minutes giving the space a speed clean. Clear desk, clear mind.
I hope you enjoyed these gentle reminders, have a great day and go easy on yourself. Jojo x