Anxious Parents – how the bitterest substance could save your child or pets life.

Anxious Parents – how the bitterest substance could save your child or pets life.

Parent anxiety is real.  I’m sure it never goes, but as for when our kids are little, I have avoided fireplaces with sharp corners (I love, love a fire and have missed it).  I have been trying to put Bonnie off on getting a high bed as I am worried someone will crack their head and have a nasty fall.  I always chop grapes, am not a fan of lollies due to chocking risks and don’t get me started on chemicals and poisoning hazards. I think with little people, it’s better to be overly cautious on certain things because we are actually keeping them alive.  Granted, I’m not that parent to follow my kids around in soft play, I do like to encourage them to be independant (and a hot coffee is great for my mojo).  There is always a balance to be had.

Scottish blogger Jojo Fraser checks out bitrex Scottish blogger Jojo Fraser checks out bitrex Scottish blogger Jojo Fraser checks out bitrex

This week I went to The Yard in Stockbridge so the kids could let off some steam and I could catch up with the team from Bitrex® who work with many brands with the vision to make accidental poisoning in children a thing of the past. Bitrex® (short for Denatonium Benzoate) is the bitterest substance known to man, woman or child. That’s according to The Guinness World Records. It is a substance that’s put into household, garden and automotive products to ensure that if a child or animal ever tried to swallow it, they would spit it straight out before they could be poisoned. The research shows that kids are extremely sensitive to bitter tastes and when I think about foods I have tried to get them to eat over the years, sour is a word they use if they refuse something.

Scottish author and blogger, Jojo Fraser, checks out britex

I was invited to take the taste test, whilst the kids enjoyed their lovely chocolate coins.  Hey, I’ll do anything for research but I must admit I was a little anxious despite the fact that Bitrex® is indeed completely harmless if consumed. It just tastes really, really horrible and sour.  But it is also proven to be a lifesaver. Literally because the stats show us that 1000’s of children worldwide are rushed to Accident and Emergency as a result of accidental poisoning every day.

Let’s just say, I was very thankful for the lovely cupcake after my taste test.  Are you up to the challenge?  You can order a kit here.

 

Scottish author and blogger, Jojo Fraser, checks out britex

Bitrex work with some of Europe’s best-known brands and retailers – such as Tesco, Halfords and …wait for it Hubs favourite COSTCO!  Each of these companies chooses to use Bitrex in the products they manufacture or sell to help keep children and pets safe.

Jojo Fraser checks out bitrex

#SP – BUT I think this is a fantastic brand and will be looking out for the signs on products.  Keep your eyes peeled and now you will know what the Bitrex® sign means.

 

Follow:

Leave a Reply